Installing Fedora Core 2 on Virtual PC

Mike McCollister mikemccollister at yahoo.com
Fri May 21 15:15:39 UTC 2004

Hi,

I have tried to install Fedora Core 2 on Virtual PC (in Windows XP) but can't
get it past the first reboot.  During the install, I had to use text mode as
the graphical mode install would not work.  After the first reboot I get a
series of segmentation faults.  For example, one of the lines is

/etc/X11/prefdm: line 47: 323 Segmentation fault which gdm >/dev/null 2>&1

I've booted from the DVD and went into rescue mode and changed the xorg.conf
file to use 24 or 32 bit mode without any success.  I also set the init level
to 3 and it boots into text mode OK.  However, when I type a command like "more
xorg.conf" I get a segmentation fault but if I type the command again there is
no fault.

Any suggestions or has anyone gotten Core 2 to install on Virtual PC?

Thanks,

Mike