FC2 - GUI logout freezes machine

Hannes Mayer fedora at ancientcoins.biz
Fri May 21 20:04:01 UTC 2004

Jeffrey B. Murphy wrote:
> nothing in Xorg.0.log
>
> but in /var/log/messages:
>
> May 21 15:49:58 hostname modprobe: FATAL: Error running install command
> for sound_slot_1
>
> could that be causing it? how can i disable sound if that is? or
> configure sound correctly? any tips? faqs. if I run
> system-config-soundcard, it does not show me how to change it.
>
> Thanks.
>

> On May 21, 2004, at 3:31 PM, Hannes Mayer wrote:
>
>> Jeffrey B. Murphy wrote:
>>
>>> If I log in to either GNOME/KDE/FailSafe as any user or root.
>>> Whenever I logout of the machine, it freezes the whole machine. I had
>>> FC1 on the same machine with no problems.
>>> Dell optiplex GX240. This is a fresh install. SSH into the box works
>>> fine.
>>

>> Any errors in Xorg.0.log ?

I dunno if the modprobe error is the reason. Probably not...
Does system-config-soundcard play the test sound ?

Xorg is not very good in writing good error messages... I still try to track
that nasty mozilla-crashes-X bug.
Most of the time I get:
Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

Nothing else...

Do you have the line
  Load  "dri"
in xorg.conf ? I just commented it for test purposes and had a hard hang after
crashing Mozilla manually. With that line X just crashes and the login screen
comes up again...

Cheers,
Hannes.