FC1->FC2 My upgrade issues - no pop?

John Fleming john at wa9als.com
Sat May 22 00:55:43 UTC 2004

Am Sa, den 22.05.2004 schrieb John Fleming um 00:48:

> 2.  I can't get my email using another machine - IP for the server is
still
> correctly setup, but apparently no mail server is running.  Where should I
> look??  What are the pop and imap servers included in FC2?  From the
console
> MAIL, I can see that I've received email since the upgrade, but how to get
> it?

> You need to install either dovecot (simple POP3/IMAP server) or
cyrus-imapd (very powerful but more complicated POP3/IMAP server). As
you can read in the FC2 release notes the former uw-imapd (imap RPM) is
deprecated.

Cyrus-imapd was installed, but wasn't running.  The firewall was also
enabled!  Those are fixed now, but I still have some strange behavior and
can't get my email.

I can connect to the pop server, but I get a message that either the user or
password is wrong or doesn't exist.  Clearly I have a user john and I can
login with the password.  I even changed the password for john to something
very plain, but I get the same message.  I get the same type of failed login
using Squirrelmail, which is consistent.  From the console, I can loging and
read the email simply using MAIL, so it's something about the pop and/or
imap servers.  Also, the same observation is true for all users, not just
john.  Help?  Maybe I should start dovecot if it's simpler and I'm a
newbie...   THANKS