Fedora Core 2 - review.

Sean Estabrooks seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Sat May 22 05:33:31 UTC 2004

On Fri, 21 May 2004 13:52:31 -0600
Robin Laing <Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca> wrote:

> I do agree that Fedora core isn't crippled in that the necessary
> software is easily accessible off of the net.  The problem is for many
> that they don't know how to do this or what to look for.  As many
> Linux advocates would like Linux to replace Windows (I would) and many
> on this list would like the version of Linux to be Fedora, not SUSE or
> Mandrake.

Sorry Robin, you've completely missed the point.   There is a reason
that these things are not provided by a FC2 install.   It's because they
are not free.   Trying to make a MS Windows clone is doomed to failure.
We can not afford to allow _them_ to set the agenda.   What is important
is making our own community that supports truly free protocols
and data formats that we can enjoy.

As the tyranny of  Windows use becomes greater and greater people
will be more willing to join us and use OUR formats.   We need to
promote the use of free protocols more than we need to pander to
new converts.

> Why not come up with an idea that will point those coming from the
> Windows domain on how easy it is to install software and upgrade from
> the start.  At least this would not conflict with the issue of licenses.

Legal issues aside this is a counterproductive measure which
takes us in the wrong direction.

> I would love to get my in laws onto Linux and I love how easy it is to
> use Fedora.  I don't mind search the net or even compiling my own src
> code.  I cannot expect my mother-in-law to do this.  She has a hard
> enough time updating her anti-virus in Windows.

Does she really need mp3 ?   Does she really need Flash?
If you're sharing files with each other you can use free formats
instead.

> Now in regards to fedoratracker.org.  I did a search and there are no
> packages that will play mp3's or DVD's if I search the description for
> DVD/dvd or MP3/mp3. Not much help to the issue of helping that person
> at home that doesn't know plugins from upgrades.  Now this is an issue
> with the search engine but it illustrates what I am trying to say.  I
> know that mplayer, xine, xmms plugins are listed but are not found
> with a simple search.

Your goals are not those of the Fedora project which is about Free
open source software not proprietary and encumbered software.

> My original suggestion of supplying a link or script to help people
> could point to fedoratracker with a description on how to search for
> the necessary applications.

This may open RedHat up to legal problems and is counterproductive
to the true hope of Linux.    Let us not take a step back, let us promote
and support unencumbered technologies.   Let us win the benefits
for ourselves and people will follow because it's better, not because
it's the same.

Regards,
Sean.