about mandrake and fedora (was: Re: The Perfect Yum.conf File

Rory Gleeson rory at childwelfare.ca
Sat May 22 15:23:37 UTC 2004

> Hi Rory!
>
> Interesting to hear! Thanks for mentioning!
>
> As for installation I think it can't be made easier than in Fedora.
> It's almost the same as a windoze install, except things like
>firewall, package selection...
>
> I downloaded mandrake 10 a few weeks ago, after trying to install
> debian sarge (what a pain) but never installed it.
> I was a bit confused about the negative voices about FC1, so I ended
> up with fedora a little late, when test2 was released, but so far I
> don't regret it. Except the mozilla-unicode-x-server-crash-issue, it
> runs very good on my box!
>
> Sorry, can't throw in my 2 cents on yum, since I still must figure out
> myself how to configure it.
>

> Cheers,
> Hannes in Austria.

Hi Hannes,

I actually managed to install Debian Install after a minor initial
hiccup.  I actually really liked Debian and, after using Mandrake for a
while, it was my first introduction to Apt, which I loved and which sold
me.  However, Debian just wasn't bleeding-edge enough for me, as I like
all the new toys.

I'm very happy with Fedora. That's not to say I don't have issue: KDE is
a bit buggy and sluggish, I haven't been able to install mplayer yet,
kmail won't work, sound doesn't properly work (a 2.6 kernel issue, I
think, as I see it in Mandrake and SuSE) and while Fedora automatically
found the shared folders on a networked XP box, it prompts me for a
password to access them each time when no password exists.

So, I have my wrinkles to iron out.  But, this is the same with every
major distro I've tried.  They all have their strengths and weaknesses,
but at least we have the *choice* to discover this by trying different
ones out, unlike using Windows, where you just have to adapt to its
quirks and assume you can't do anything about it.

The one thing I find off-putting about Fedora is the community that is
building up around it.  It seems like a number of the veterans (albeit a
minority) feel comfortable making nasty comments to new users and
Windows-convertees.  I guess the Linux snobs invade the lists of every
distro, but there's a nasty tone to some members here.  Hopefully, that
will change before that tone becomes entrenched in the Fedora community.

Otherwise, Fedora is a great distro and *is* stable relative to other
distros, it balances stability with bleeding-edge nicely, the RedHat
staff who are involved with the community are helpful and nice and seem
to want to create a really good free (non-prop) product.  Woops, did I
just use the word "product?" :)

Rory

On Sat, 2004-05-22 at 10:42, Hannes Mayer wrote:
> Rory Gleeson wrote:
> > I'm new to Fedora and Yum, just getting on the bandwagon on Test 3.
I'm> > a convert from Mandrake, which is *NOT* more user-friendly,
easier to