The Perfect Yum.conf File

Cymon J. Cox cymon at duke.edu
Sat May 22 18:12:23 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-22 at 13:34, Dexter Ang wrote:
> Cymon J. Cox wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-05-22 at 11:28, Dexter Ang wrote:
> >
> >>Rory Gleeson wrote:

> >> And I
> >>install by hand the things I need from dag.
> >

> > Have you considered making a alternate yum.conf for other repositories?
> > E.g., write a /etc/yum_dag.conf with the [main] and [dag] stanza's and
> > call with: yum -c /etc/yum_dag.conf install <blah>
> >
> > C.

> I'd have a little nightmare keeping track of which packages to
> exclude when updating with dag.

Well, heres the thing - I never do an _update_ on any repository apart
from the official Fedora Core [core] and [updates] (think that might now
be [base] and [released-updates]). So my yum.conf is as supplied, with
mirrors added.

Other repos are in yum_other.conf:

$ sudo yum -c /etc/yum_others.conf check-update
Password:
Server: Fedora Core 2 ATrpms good
Server: Fedora Core 2 ATrpms stable
Server: Fedora Core 2 ATrpms testing
Server: Fedora Core 2 Dag Wieers repository
Server: Dries repository for Fedora Core 2
Server: Fedora Linux (stable) for Fedora Core 2 -- Fedora US mirror
Server: Fedora Core 2 -- Fedora US mirror
Server: Fedora Core 2 updates -- Fedora US mirror
Server: Fedora Linux 2 - i386 - freshrpms
Server: Livna.org Fedora Compatible Packages (stable)
Server: Livna.org Fedora Compatible Packages (testing)
Server: Livna.org Fedora Compatible Packages (unstable)
Server: Macromedia Flash Plugin with redistribution limitations
Server: Mozilla SeaMonkey Releases
Server: Fedora Core 2 NewRPMS.sunsite.dk
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers

And install/update individual packages with this .conf or individual
.conf for each repo, depending on whether I think there is a potential
conflict, or I have some (most-likely unfounded) bias for choosing a
package from a particular repo.

This maybe unnecessarily cautious and maybe an update on these repos
would be fine; I just like having the flexibility.

C.