XFree86 gone from Fedora Core? WHY!?

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Sat May 22 23:51:00 UTC 2004

William M. Quarles said:

> Craig,
>
> I don't want an endless discussion, far from it.  People have put forth
> that the central issue here for why XFree86 is no longer part of Fedora
> Core is the license change and some conduct of the now-disbanded core
> team.  If someone could just answer why the license is GPL incompatible
> while the modified BSD license is not, that would be enough for me.

Your Google seems to be broke.  Here, borrow mine:

"XFree86 4.4: List of Rejecting Distributors Grows"
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/02/18/131223

A thread started by RMS in the XFree86 mailing list
http://www.xfree86.org/pipermail/forum/2004-February/003974.html

Debian's take
http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2004/02/msg00780.html

XFree86's FAQ, which states it isn't GPL compatible
http://xfree86.org/legal/licenses.html
"The 1.1 license is not GPL-compatible..."

Can we please move on now?

--
William Hooper