I hate mailing lists

William M. Quarles walrus at bellsouth.net
Sun May 23 02:03:55 UTC 2004

Aaron Matteson wrote:
> William M. Quarles became daring and sent these 0.5K bytes,
>
>>shrek-m at gmx.de wrote:

>>>i hate newsgroups
>>>
>>>http://gmane.org/info.php?group=gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general
>>>
>>>nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general
>>>http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general
>>
>>Why do you hate newsgroups?
>

> I guess everyone has to hate something, but a couple people not liking
> something is hardly a reason to change soemthing that works perfectly
> fine.
>
> I might suggest if these methods annoy you then please come up with
> something better.

Someone already did.  Newsgroups.  I understand that a lot of you are
suggesting gmane.org, but I find ironic that you do so while their whole
mission statement points directly to the fact that two-way mass
communication is inefficient with mailing lists and is meant for newsgroups:

"Free software is mainly developed on mailing lists. Mailing lists have
many advantages over other forms of communication, but they have two
weaknesses: It's difficult to follow discussions in a sensible way, and
mailing list archives (when they exist) have a tendency to disappear
over time.

"Several mailing list archives exist, but these are all hidden under a
web interface. Reading mail that way is not convenient. Reading mail as
if it were news is convenient. "

Instead of reading mail as if it were news, it would make a lot more
sense to just have news.  Mailing lists are best for one-way mass
communication about what your favorite band's next gig is and for those
college students who have a hard enough time just using a web browser.
I think considering that we are all using Linux, we are at least
computer-savvy enough to use a news client.

Peace,
William