Radeon Mobility M6 LY 3D acceleration on FC2

Miles Sabin miles at milessabin.com
Sun May 23 10:25:24 UTC 2004

I've just done a fresh FC2 install on a Sony PGC-Z1XSP which comes with
an ATI Radeon Mobility M6 LY and a 1400x1050 panel. 2D is fine, but
according to glxinfo (and visible with glxgears and gl apps) direct
rendering isn't enabled.

I believe that the standard kernel and xorg modules should support 3D
acceleration with this chip, so there's clearly something wrong with my
setup. I can't see anything obvious (to me) amiss and I've checked
bugzilla and STFA'd without finding anything helpful, so any advice
from this list would be much appreciated.

lspci -v gives me this for the controller,

  01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon \
    Mobility M6 LY (prog-if 00 [VGA])
          Subsystem: Sony Corporation: Unknown device 8140
          Flags: bus master, stepping, fast Back2Back, 66Mhz, medium \
    devsel, latency 66, IRQ 9
          Memory at d8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable)
          I/O ports at 3000 [size=256]
          Memory at d0100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
          Capabilities: [58] AGP version 2.0

I find the following in /var/log/messages,

  kernel: Linux agpgart interface v0.100 (c) Dave Jones
  kernel: agpgart: Detected an Intel 855PM Chipset.
  kernel: agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 941M
  kernel: agpgart: AGP aperture is 256M @ 0xe0000000
  kernel: [drm] Initialized radeon 1.9.0 20020828 on minor 0

However, lsmod doesn't show the radeon module, which I think should be
expected.

My xorg.conf includes,

  Section "Module"
          Load  "dbe"
          Load  "extmod"
          Load  "fbdevhw"
          Load  "glx"
          Load  "record"
          Load  "freetype"
          Load  "type1"
          Load  "dri"
  EndSection

and,

  Section "DRI"
          Group        0
          Mode         0666
  EndSection

And /var/log/Xorg shows the controller being correctly detected and
identified and the dri/drm/ati/radeon modules loading successfully.
However, towards the end I see,

  (II) RADEON(0): Direct rendering disabled

Any help and/or pointers would be much appreciated. Any other relevant
info available on request.

TIA ...

Cheers,

Miles