Touchpad + USB mouse on FC2

Miles Sabin miles at milessabin.com
Sun May 23 11:09:33 UTC 2004

Dusan Djordjevic wrote,
> Miles Sabin wrote,
> > But if I boot with a USB mouse attached then the touchpad isn't
> > detected and nothing I can think of will bring it to life.
> >
> > OTOH, attaching the USB mouse _after_ boot works just fine: X
> > responds to both the touchpad and the mouse via /dev/input/mice.
>
> Check section "ServerLayout" of /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
> When you have more than one pointer, all except one should be
> described as AlwaysCore. Main should be (in your case alps)
> CorePointer. I have similar setup with Synaptic touchpad:

That might be a problem too (tho' I thought that /dev/input/mice was
supposed to handle multiple hotplugged mice transparently?), but I
think there's something else here: with the USB mouse attached the
touchpad isn't detected at all during boot. Attempting to
cat /dev/input/mice or /dev/input/mouseX shows absolutely nothing from
the touchpad if the USB mouse is attached during boot.

Cheers,

Miles