Installing FC2 from Windows partition

David Hunt david.hunt.linux at comcast.net
Sun May 23 11:33:27 UTC 2004

Betti Ann & Preston Smith wrote:

> ... I was wondering if there was a way I could boot into RH 9 and use
> the images on the Windows drive (all Windows partitions are visible in
> RH 9.0) to do the install

The answer is No, but you are close.

I originally installed FC1 this way using ISO images on the HD. I had
two Linux installations and was booting into Mandrake which had
modifications in LILO (GRUB works too) to start the Fedora installation.
I did not try booting into the same installation that I was going to
overwrite. So I am not sure if that will work. If I can't get a bootable
USB key working soon, I will probably be attempting this same
installation method, since I merged by two linux partitions to get more
disk space and can't install the old way.

I was unsuccessful installing Linux from a FAT32 partition. I was
warned, but it appeared to be working fine for awhile until I started to
get permission and access errors. From experience I now know that the
installation will work if the iso files are loaded in the TOP LEVEL ONLY
(/) of an EXT3 Partition. Other Linux partitions may work. This also
can't be the same partition that you are starting the installation from.
I currently use an external USB HD with an EXT3 partition for holding my
ISO files. That seems to work OK, and doesn't clutter my internal HD.

You may want to check this out:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-January/msg00198.html

Good Luck,

David Hunt