Upgrade vs Install

Luc Bouchard luc at luker.on.ca
Sun May 23 12:55:27 UTC 2004

Florin Andrei wrote:

>On Sat, 2004-05-22 at 15:09, Jeff Vian wrote:
>

>>I find it amusing that most of those who did the new install are absent
>>from the discussion (at least with problems), but those who chose to do
>>an upgrade are flooding this list.
>>

>Indeed.
>
>Install from scratch whenever possible. It's the best opportunity to get
>rid of the inevitable entropy.
>
>Upgrade is a last-resort-only solution: if there _really_ is no way
>around, then... well, accept the risks of getting fanged by some piece
>of junk forgotten on the hard-drive.

Yup, I did a completely fresh install.  Kept a copy of /home and /etc
before the install.   After install I  copied select files and folders
from /home, merged entry in some .conf files from /etc and re-installed
add-on software (like mplayer and xine).  Within  a total elapsed time
of about 2 hours I was completely back up and running to where I was
before.  Probably the fastest OS re-install of my life.  Now to do the
intranet server and the internet  server.

BTW, I love FC2.  The OS is running flawlessly and pretty fast on my AMD
XP1700+ with 512MB of RAM.

Luc Bouchard