XFree86 gone from Fedora Core? WHY!?

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sun May 23 14:18:44 UTC 2004

Prasanth Kumar wrote:

> I don't think Red Hat are the only developers switching to X.org. For
> one thing Debian is also. Furthermore key people like Jim Gettys and
> Keith Packard are associated with X.org. These guys have been working on
> X related stuff well before XFree86 even existed.

I'm not really interested in the licensing issue,
which seems pretty esoteric to me.
[I read Stallman's email/article but it didn't leave me much wiser.]

However, in my experience Xorg is significantly inferior to XFree86.
There seems to be very little documentation,
and the display config tools don't work properly under FC-2,
again in my experience.

I've usually had some problems upgrading RH systems
on my Sony C1VFK Picturebook,
but I've usually found a helpful explanation somewhere.
This time - upgrading from FC-1 to FC-2 -
I found nothing better than playing more or less at random with xorg.conf .
I really don't know why the settings I finished up with work.

Sadly, I'd give Xorg beta-minus.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366