No Sound

ne... akabi at speakeasy.net
Sun May 23 15:47:31 UTC 2004

On May 22, 2004 at 16:55, Tim at adelphia in a soothing rage wrote:

[Bad top posting rearranged]

>Am Freitag, 21. Mai 2004 17:04 schrieb ne...:
>> On May 20, 2004 at 20:21, Tim at adelphia in a soothing rage wrote:
>> >Well, I have Fedora up and running and almost everything went
>> >flawlessly. I guess I am out of luck with my Ethernet since I have
>> >HomePNA, so that isn't the current issue. My problem right now is
>sound.
>> >When I first installed, and it went through that whole first time set
>up
>> >deal it detected my sound card and tested great. I heard the sound
>and
>> >everything was wonderful. Once I got into KDE and tried to play a CD
>> >no longer get any sound. I went back to the automatic detection
>screen,
>> >and it didn't play the test sound. I went into "alsamixer" in the
>> >command line, and turned everything up, yet still nothing. Using Kmix
>> >did the same thing. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on?
>>
>> Are your sound modules loaded? What are the contents of your
>> /etc/modprobe.conf>
>Well, my modprobe.conf file is as follows:
>	alias eth0 3c59x
>	alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
>	install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-emu10k1
>&& 	/usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
>	remove snd-emu10k1 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 ||
>: ; };
>	/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-emu10k1
>	alias usb-controller uhci-hcd
>
>That is the entire contents of it. Any visible problems that would kill
>sound totally?
The contents of mine:
# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116* snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1

# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14* soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

# card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 && \
/usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-emu10k1 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; \
/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-emu10k1

Make sure all the sound modules are loaded (/sbin/lsmod).
Next run your mixer and make sure the channels are not muted.

N.Emile...
Some people say a front-engine car handles best.  Some people say a
rear-engine car handles best.  I say a rented car handles best.
		-- P.J. O'Rourke
 11:40:46  up 5 days, 16:31,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00