REPOST: Installation worked from hard-disk, now X-Windows trouble

Hannes Mayer fedora at ancientcoins.biz
Sun May 23 15:57:55 UTC 2004

Tarek M. Nabil wrote:
> On windows, It's true color: 32 bit.
>
> I tried, and after I started X, I got the X cursor with a blank screen. Even
> ctrl+alt+delete didn't work and I had to reset my PC :( After the restart,
> the X worked but with a 800*600 resolution, I used the display settings to
> increase the resolution and then tried to log out which caused the machine
> to hang for a while and then I was able to log out but X didn't work :(

Well, I'm far from being an expert in X server issues, so I'm really clueless
now. Maybe someone else has further ideas... anyone ?

> I don't know what to do, I'm completely new to this thing, and I'm starting
> to really get turned off. What do you advise? Move on to FC2? Is it better?
> Or is Fedora only for people who know their way around and I should look
> into other releases that are a bit older and maybe more stable, like
> Mandrake or RH9 or  for example. I know it's not supported, but what the
> heck. Or what do you suggest?

I'm very happy with FC2 so far! Well, except the mozilla-unicode-x-crash bug
which is already on the redhat, mozilla and xorg bugzilla's.

I would try to install FC1 once again and see if any problems vanish.
I ended up installing FC2 twice too, because during the rpm installation anaconda
crashed and the installation didn't finish. When trying to resume the installation
it complained about some boot-manager incompatibility and I ended up with
similar X problems, so I reinstalled (formatted *all* partitions!) and it works!

Cheers,
Hannes.