The Perfect Yum.conf file

Rory Gleeson rory at childwelfare.ca
Sun May 23 17:49:30 UTC 2004

> Message: 14
>Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 11:38:18 -0500
>From: Elliott Wilcoxon <elliott at wilcoxon.org>
>
>Having both Dag's and FreshRPM's repos in your yum.conf at the same
>time is begging for trouble.  They don't communicate to make sure >that
>their packages are compatible (unlike, say fedora.us + Extras), >so
>downloading packages X, Y, and Z from one then P, Q, and R from >the
>other is likely to eventually cause issues.
>
>Elliott Wilcoxon

Point taken.  Thanks.  I think loading in Dag's Firefox, which didn't
work, on top of the one I got from Extras (I think) is a good example
and illustrates your point well.

I think separate yum.conf files that I call separately might be the
ticket, although it makes it a hassle to search for new programs.

This leads me to thought of that other thread, the Yum Front-end.  It
would be nice to have a system similar to Mandrake's front-end that
allows you to pull up *all* updates and then *de-select* particular
repository or particular package.  Not that I'm a big fan of the drake
system and urpmi - it's too cluttered and needs a design review to
simplify it.

I think Yum is the way to go.  Or Apt-Get for that matter, although I
prefer to stay with Yum if I'm with Fedora.  Maybe Synaptic is the
answer.  As an aside, it would be
nice if all the distros could get behind one.  What is emerging now just
promotes non-standards and, eventually, forking.

Regarding Yum, now we need that front-end that allows us to stick all
the repos in one file and then open the GUI-front-end and choose which
ones we want to search for updates at the beginning or search for
updates from all and then de-select the repos or particular packages we
don't want before installing.

I keep hearing that Redhat is phasing out up2date in favour of Yum.
Then maybe, Yum will gain greater focus on the front-end for Fedora 3.
Yum has so much room to grow in great directions and what it does now is
so good that it provides a great foundation to build from.

Rory