xcdroast atapi mode failure (fc2)

Paul R. Ganci ganci at nurdog.com
Sun May 23 18:07:09 UTC 2004

charles f. zeitler wrote:

>when i try to burn a cd with xcdroast,
>atapi mode, it bombs.
>

>here is the output from xcdroast:
>
>Calling: /usr/lib/xcdroast-0.98/bin/xcdrwrap CDRECORD
>dev= "ATAPI:0,0,0" gracetime=2 fs=4096k
>driveropts=burnfree -v -useinfo speed=12 -dao -eject
>-pad -data "/home/all/isos/sorcerer-ia32-20040513.iso"
>
>scsidev: 'ATAPI:0,0,0'
>devname: 'ATAPI'
>scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
>Warning: Using ATA Packet interface.
>Warning: The related libscg interface code is in pre
>alpha.
>Warning: There may be fatal problems.
>Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a27-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu)
>Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling
>cdrecord: No such device or address. Cannot open SCSI
>driver.
>Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version
>with DVD support
>cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord
>-scanbus'. Make sure you are root.
>Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present
>in the original.
>cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try
>'cdrecord dev=help'.

I spent the better part of yesterday researching this problem. From what
I can figure the problem (see a k3b related bugzilla bug 122096) results
because of recent changes to cdrecord which requires that it be called
with --dev=/dev/scdX instead of --dev=X,X,X for SCSI drives and I am
guessing --dev=/dev/hda for IDE drives. I suspect that xcdroast is
calling cdrecord with the old --dev parameterization. For example on my
SCSI system my writer has an old SCSI specification of 0,5,0. The
following shell command:

cdrecord --dev=0,5,0 driveropts=help -checkdrive

yields

Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a27-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004
Jörg Schilling
Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
<warly at mandrakesoft.com>.
Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in
this version.
scsidev: '0,5,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 5 lun: 0
cdrecord: Permission denied. Cannot open '/dev/pg5'. Cannot open SCSI
driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you
are root.
cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.

However if I use

cdrecord --dev=/dev/scd1 driveropts=help -checkdrive

I get:

Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a27-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004
Jörg Schilling
Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
<warly at mandrakesoft.com>.
Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in
this version.
scsidev: '/dev/scd1'
devname: '/dev/scd1'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version
(schily - Red Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.80-RH '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c 1.80
04/03/08 Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 2
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   : SYNC
Vendor_info    : 'YAMAHA  '
Identifikation : 'CRW2100S        '
Revision       : '1.0N'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
Driver options:
None supported for this drive.

For k3b there is a new spec file for k3b-0.11.9-4 and a SCSI patch to
fix the problem. When I run xcdroast I have the same problem as you so I
moved to k3b because I could take the spec file and patch and compile a
version that works on my SCSI system. Probably xcdroast could be patched
in the same manner, but I didn't attempt that ...  I just decided it was
time to move to k3b.

I don't know if this will help you, but maybe someone else can suggest
something better.

--
Paul (ganci at nurdog.com)