The Perfect Yum.conf file

Law Horne zimhat at foou.net
Sun May 23 19:15:41 UTC 2004

From: Elliott Wilcoxon <elliott at wilcoxon.org>

>Having both Dag's and FreshRPM's repos in your yum.conf at the same
>time is begging for trouble.  They don't communicate to make sure >that
>their packages are compatible (unlike, say fedora.us + Extras), >so
>downloading packages X, Y, and Z from one then P, Q, and R from >the
>other is likely to eventually cause issues.
>
>Elliott Wilcoxon

> Point taken.  Thanks.  I think loading in Dag's Firefox, which didn't
> work, on top of the one I got from Extras (I think) is a good example
> and illustrates your point well.

Actually they do communicate. That is what repo-coordination-list and
freshrpms-list are for. There is an joint effort among several
repos(dag, freshrpms, atrpms, newrpms, and more, go to there respective
sites to learn more about this.) to be cross compatible. Though there
are still some kinks to be worked out I've not had an issue with using
all or most of them, for quite some time now. But it is very recommended
to avoid mixing fedora.us(extras) or livna.org(packages the were
formally at fedora.us) with any of the above mentioned repos. Though I
know some do it, they are not really working with one another for
compatibility. So you're really stuck using one camp or the other.

Law