Sound Driver gone!

Ted Gervais ve1drg at av.eastlink.ca
Sun May 23 19:55:46 UTC 2004

Like others I have been trying to get the sound working on FC2.
When I bring up KDE I now find this message :

" Error while initializing sound driver:
" device /dev/dsp can't be opened (no such device)
" Sound server will continue using Null output device"

When I do a listing of that file (as root), I see that it is there??

[root at mach3 dev]# ls -al dsp
crw-------  1 ve1drg root 14, 3 Feb 23 17:02 dsp
[root at mach3 dev]# ls -al dsp*
crw-------  1 ve1drg root 14,  3 Feb 23 17:02 dsp
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root   root      3 May 18 19:07 dsp0 -> dsp
crw-------  1 ve1drg root 14, 19 Feb 23 17:02 dsp1
crw-------  1 ve1drg root 55,  0 Feb 23 17:02 dsp56k

Anyone give me a hand on getting the sound going again on KDE??
And how would this happen that this sound driver would appear to
disappear?

--
Ted Gervais
Coldbrook, Nova Scotia