Slashdotted - XP dual boot issue

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Sun May 23 23:21:14 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-23 at 19:12, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> No. Silly is crying like a baby because FC corrects a malformed
> partition table... and Windows borks down.

No. It doesnt correct the partition table. It borks the partition table.
And that's the problem. Read below for more explanations...

> Windows isn't the answer. Windows is the question.
> The answer is no! :)
>
> If you want to make a serious case study, you'll see your statement only
> makes sense for a very small minority.

Ok , but this small minority is a great part inside the minority that
uses linux....

> I still say: complain to Microsoft, they're the only one who can help
> you. And we can try to move on with the schedule, and hopefully find a
> way to work around Microsoft, once again.

Please read the bug report again. This is not related to windows
destroying the partition table , but linux doing this..
I experienced this bug. Here's a brief history on what happened here and
you'll see that windows is not the problem here:
1 - installed core 1 (using anaconda to create the partitions) , then
windows and then recovered grub (at this point , everything works
perfectly.)
2 - installed core 2 (final or test3) on the *existing partitions
created by core 1* and windows doesnt boot anymore.

So , add the facts and it shows you that it doesnt "corrects a malformed
partition table" like you said. It changed the partition tables , even
when it shouldnt! The geometry was right , all the partition types were
right , so why it changed anything?

--
Pedro Macedo