FC1, NVidia Riva TNT2

Jeremy Brown jeremy at cadre5.com
Mon May 24 02:20:58 UTC 2004

Adayapalam Appaiah Kumaraswamy wrote:

> My graphics card is NVidia Riva TNT2 with 32 MB of RAM. I think that's
> quite good, and enough for quite a few applications. But tuxracer is
> miserable and is unplayable. redhat-config-xfree86 gives the right
> graphics card, and the X startrup log also does not show any errors.
> However, the performance is poor. Will it help if I egt hold of the
> closed source drivers provided by NVidia or is there a way to set
> things right without that?

A TNT2 is OK, but certainly not state of the art technology (no
offense).  But yes...if you're using the open source drivers right now,
then you're only getting software rendering.  The only NVidia drivers
that do any 3d rendering are the closed source ones.

The open source ones are fine for most non-3d uses though.

Jeremy