XFree86 gone from Fedora Core? WHY!?

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Mon May 24 09:08:26 UTC 2004

Brian,

Am So, den 23.05.2004 schrieb Brian Hartman um 23:30:
> The only reason I bring it up is because my screen experiences
> inexplicable flickering snow when I set it to 1024x768 and "millions
> of colors", which I know can be handled by the nvidia binary driver
> under FC1.

Similar problem here with the binary nvidia driver, when I switch from
the X session into a console session. I found elsewhere:

>---------------------------------------------------------------------<
It seems that the driver doesn't detect properly the display type.
Read the NVidia driver documentation - in the ReadMe file you will
find a switch for the display type to be inserted in the XFree86
config file.

Unfortunately I am not at home, to send you detailed info, but if
you look for "LCD", "CRT" in the ReadMe file the installer
recommentds, you will find the setting.

If I understand it correctly from Bill Nottingham and Havoc the free nv
driver is delivered by nvidia people as well. It is quite undocumented
and obfuscated, so anyone outside nvidia isn't able to fix anything.

So it is (at least currently) not a XFree ./. xOrg issue, but a driver
issue.

Peter