system-config-printer and two networks without a bridge

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Mon May 24 15:50:21 UTC 2004

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 08:37:29AM -0700, George Garvey wrote:

>    Thanks for the response.
>    I know that I can give access to the queues. I did. I included the
> sample for Lexmark4039L of this. Lexmark4039L is attached to a computer at
> 192.168.1.1. There is another server with a printer at 192.168.2.3. These 2
> servers tell everyone else on the network what printers are on the network.
>    But they don't know about each other's printers, because they can't hear
> the broadcasts that tell the cups servers about such things. I tried making
> them poll the other server. That didn't work, because they're not allowed
> to talk to each other, according to cupsd.conf. If I add the line allowing
> their polling, then everything is fine. But I don't know how to use
> system-config-printer to do this. So any time it is run, this setup is
> destroyed.
>    I hope that makes sense.

Ah, I see.  Well, the Browsing On and BrowseAllow lines are controlled
by the 'Automatically find remote shared queues' check-box in the
Sharing dialog.  For network configurations in which broadcast browse
packets are no good, you can try using the BrowsePoll/BrowseInterval
directives -- see /usr/share/doc/cups-*/sam.*.

Tim.
*/