[FC2] Character set problem, still there :(

Mon May 24 18:48:58 UTC 2004

Hello,

On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 18:59, Björn Persson wrote:
> The file names are encoded in one of the 8-bit encodings, probably Latin
> 1 (ISO 8859-1) or Latin 9 (ISO 8859-15), but Fedora assumes that they
> are in UTF-8. You can change Fedora's system-wide character encoding in
> /etc/sysconfig/i18n. I hear Latin 9 is best for French.

Erm, I might try to change this char coding to see how it goes, I hope
it will not become worst :)

> > Then I had a mad idea, rename all those problematic files to get them
> > working... Sounds great, doesn't it?
>
> File names can be converted. The content of the files is worse, because
> plain text files must be converted while many other file formats must
> not be touched, and some files like XML need to be converted if you want
> them to be readable in text editors, but may or may not be in a
> different encoding and may or may not contain encoding information that
> has to be updated if they are converted.
That's great if file names can be converted, I will have to look at that.. like for converting all my old file as UTF-8

But just wondering, how are displayed UTF-8 under windows? are they well
displayed?

> Does Linux view the iRiver as a hard disk, a file server or something
> else? If it's viewed as a disk, I bet it's mounted as VFAT. Long file
> names in VFAT are in a 16-bit encoding (UTF-16 or UCS-2), and the driver
> converts them.
Yep, I just mount my iRiver as a normal 20Go HDD thourh my USB post
/dev/sda1

> It seems that for some reason you have to give parameters
> to mount to tell it which encoding to translate to. You'd think it could
> have used the system-wide encoding automatically ...
Yep I would have think that :D

> Björn Persson
Thxs for all those info Björn

Regards
Ludovic
http://www.mythTVtalk.com (Now Open!!!)
The MyhTV users community forum
--
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on i686 CPU kernel 2.6.5-1.358
@ 20:48:51 up 3 days,  7:25,  4 users,  load average: 2.39, 2.42, 2.44