dual boot : fed1 and fed2 no go

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue May 25 03:07:54 UTC 2004

john brennan-sardou wrote:

> hello,     I try to be a cautious guy so before installing fedora 2 on
> test and killing off fed 1 I decided to put it on my second disk and
> have a dual boot. Well, I got grubbed. No surprise I suppose. Here is
> the grub.conf
> #boot=/dev/hda
> default=1
> timeout=10
> splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> title Fedora Core (2.6.5-1.358)
>    root (hd1,0)
>    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.358 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet
>    initrd /initrd-2.6.5-1.358.img
> title fedcore
>    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
>    chainloader +1
> When I boot into the old fed core one this is the message :
>  "  Error 13 Invalid or unsupported executable format "
> The name fedcore as you  can see is the first primary disk and fed 2
> is on the second. I know I should be reading the forty-five page doc
> on my desk but I would feel better disposed to grub if I could get out
> of this quick.My first disk is full of work material.  I have already
> tried the LBA bios change on the mail list but  no joy. Thanks a lot
> John Brennan-Sardou

Before installing FC2 on the second drive, you might have needed to
install grub into your boot partition before rebooting. Then when FC2
was installed on the secondary drive, the entries should have worked.

When you installed FC1, it probably installed the boot loader into mbr.
Now with FC2 installed, it overwrote the early stages of grub.

To repair the boot loader after the install in in the current state, you
can do one of the following things to correct the booting into FC! problem.

1) install the first disk of FC2 or the rescue CD. Boot system. Fedora
should be able to detect both installations. Choose the installation
with FC1 installed. Once in the shell for FC1 type the below.
chroot /mnt/sysimage
This should give you the FC1 environment. Now you need to type the below
information.
grub-install /dev/hda1
This should install grub into /dev/hda1 and leave alone the mbr
installation that FC2 put  onto your system.

2) Alternatively, you can mount the volume that contains FC1's boot
partition. Then with a editor you can open an editor by pointing it to
the /fc1boot/grub/grub.conf file. You then need to open up
/boot/grub/grub.conf file for FC2.
What you want to do is to copy the boot options for your FC1 grub.conf
file and paste it into your FC2 grub.conf file. This will allow you to
boot into FC1 with a reboot, but will force you to repeat this procedure
for each kernel update. There should not be many kernel updates, so you
should not need to do this frequently.
With method 1, FC1 should take care of FC1's boot loader with any kernel
upgrades. FC2 will take care of FC2's boot loader, but leave the
chainloader intact.

If you try method 1 and it does not work, pass it on. I use the method
myself and it works for me.
Method 2 is what I used for a long time. his should work without any
difficulties.

Jim

--
You will always get the greatest recognition for the job you least like.