XFree86 gone from Fedora Core? WHY!?

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Tue May 25 10:44:16 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 19:42 -0400, William M. Quarles wrote:
> Last time I looked (~1 year ago) nVidia made their driver open source.
> You could even compiled it yourself on your computer.  Their license
> probably restricts redistribution.

Do you even read what you write?
If there is redistribution limits it doesn't even qualify as an "open
source" license!

One more reason why I prefer to talk about Software Livre (Free
Software) rather than "open source": it causes less confusion!

They provide some source code for a wrapper to the binary driver.
That wrapper is a smart way to easily follow most Linux updates. Just
recompile the module and things MIGHT still work.

It is, still, very proprietary code.

Rui