Can Fedora Be Booted From an External USB Drive?

rab rab at nauticom.net
Tue May 25 11:52:22 UTC 2004

I've heard about large hard drives or memory sticks that can be plugged
into the USB port. Is it possible to configure a new(er) Gateway desktop
to boot from a drive connected to the USB port? I've taken a new
position and have found that the IT department here has more Nazis than
the IT department at my previous position and I'm leery about adding
Linux to a partition on my harddrive. (I think they would notice GRUB. I
was "scolded" for adding Mozilla and OpenOffice to my computer. They
want to add ALL software. Of course, all they know is Windows.
Apparently we exist to serve the IT department not the other way
around.) I'm not that familiar with Gateways and of course there are no
manuals or Windows XP disks for the current system. I am getting a new
Gateway in a week or so. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
(BTW, they want us to shutdown our computersevery night. What a world.)

Rick B.