terminal command line weirdness

Bill Gradwohl bill at ycc.com
Mon May 24 22:58:38 UTC 2004

Using a terminal window, quite often I execute very long command line
statements that don't use all the space on the right of the command line
before they wrap on to the beginning of the same line and obscure the start
of that line. It overwrites the PS1 prompt string and then overwrites the
start of the command I'm working on.

Anyone that's keyed in a long command line knows what I'm talking about. If
you haven't, open a terminal window and just key in 2 commands:
echo hello
echo 'Mary had a little lamb, its fleece was white as snow. And everywhere
that Mary went, the lamb was sure to go.'
The long one will demonstrate my point.

If I up arrow to retrieve the short echo command it starts working its way
back up the terminal window. Attempting to alter a long command retrieved
from history sometimes builds a pyramid of rubbish that also walks up the
terminal window.

This has happened since RH7.1 that I'm aware of.

Anyone know how to fix this?

--
Bill Gradwohl
YCC