fedora-list Digest, Vol 3, Issue 404

Dave Evans fedora at fugutabetai.com
Tue May 25 14:23:29 UTC 2004

> Subject:
> How to write japanese under FC1 ?
> From:
> "M.Heinelt" <M.Heinelt at fbe.de>
> Date:
> Tue, 25 May 2004 12:30:12 +0200
> To:
> For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>
> To:
> For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>

> Hi,
>
> some days before, I asked the same. There where no running answer for it!
>
> My girfriend is japanese,so I need to write japanese under FC1.
> My primary language is german. Now I need a function like in Windows,
> where a window is to choose the lyrics.
> In some forums, I found the information to use the canna server and
> kinput2. But I don´t know to configure it.
> When FC1 start, the canna server is starting,too
>
> Help !!!

Hi,

  I have also been trying to get Japanese input to work in a
non-Japanese environment.  If I log in under a Japanese session (Choose
"Session Language" from the login screen, "Japanese") then things work
fine.  You have to first add the "InputMethod Switcher" applet to the
gnome-panel.  Right click on the gnome panel, "Add new panel" ->
"Utilities" -> "InputMethod Switcher".  That should add a language
indicator to your task bar.  Under English, there is a bug that prevents
the newly-added panel from showing up.  I got this advice from Lawrence
on the fedora-i18n-list mailing list:

--
Hi Dave,
Check if the applet is running by looking at the processes running.

ps -aux |grep applet

If it is running,

/usr/libexec/gnome-im-switcher-applet
--oaf-activate-iid=OAFIID:GNOME_imswitcher_Factory --oaf-ior-fd=40

As you are in en_US locale, there are two way you can see the GIMLET.

Method 1:

GTK_IM_MODULE=iiim gedit (or any GTK application)

Method 2:

Right-click mouse in your GTK application and select IIIMF as your Input
Method.

Hope it helps,
Lawrence
--

After ensuring that indeed the applet was running, and then opening up
gedit using:

the panel showed up, and I could use it to switch to Japanese input.  On
restarts the panel has been showing up, although sometimes I have to add
it again, or start up a Gnome application with the GTK_IM_MODULE=iiim
environmental variable set.

If you only need to enter Japanese in Gnome applications, that should be
all you need.  This assumes that you did select Japanese langauge
support when you installed FC2.  I'm assuming you did.  If you didn't, I
don't know how to go back and add it later.

I have a further problem though, which is that I want to use the new
iiim framework for input in a Java application.  To do this you have to
use the htt XIM bridge httx, but for whatever reason, I can not get Java
to recognize XMODIFIERS=@im=htt even when httx and htt_xbe (along with
the other requisite servers) are running.  I'm looking into that now.

Good luck.  You might want to join fedora-i18n-list, as that seems more
suitable to this kind of request.

dave