help: boot is stuck

Greg Morgan drkludge at cox.net
Tue May 25 05:13:16 UTC 2004

Marc Mouriès wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i tried to set up Fedora core 1 and core 2.
>
> With both versions i have to run the set up with "linux nofb"
>
> with both versions the set up ran well but when i reboot the boot is stuck.
> When i reboot with the interactive mode I can see the boot is stuck after
> "Enabling swap space" OK.
>
> Is there anything i can do ?

You may want to download the rescue ISO.  Once it is on a CD, boot with
it.  I think "linux single" at the boot prompt may be usful.  Once you
are at a shell prompt, cd into the /var/log directory.  Look at the last
20 to 40 lines of the messages log file. You may want to report 'em here .

If you are pushing the speed on the processor with the ASUS motherboard,
then run in a certified speed.  Marginal chips can fail when pushed.
Take FC IS0 1 and boot with the memtest86 option.  I accidently was
pushing a memory chip once and didn't realize it.  I used the memtest86
stand alone disc to help find the problem.  Once I swapped memory
between two computers, the computer worked flawlessly.

I am speculating that the installer is using less memory and working
while a normal boot after install is using memory that could have
problems.  Viewing the logs using the rescue disk may help you sort out
your problems.

Greg Morgan