FC2 - Another Newbie Question

James Dishaw DishawJP at lemoyne.edu
Tue May 25 18:02:21 UTC 2004

Betti Ann & Preston Smith wrote:

Where can one find a comprehensive list of the various utilities that
are available to examine/change/configure/add/delete various aspects of
Fedora? Such as the 'switch desk' utility someone just mentioned ....

===========================
There are several sources for this type of information.  There is a
book called "Fedora for Dummies" which, in spite of its name is very
helpful in showing how to do things from the GUI.  I actually bought a
copy for each of my daughters since they are far more GUI oriented than
I am and were asking me how to do things through the GUI that I normally
do from the command line.  O'Reilly has several excellent Linux resource
books including "Linux in a Nutshell" and "Running Linux."  Though these
two will not be Fedora specific, they will give you an excellent
foundation in Linux and they are not difficult reading.

A couple of web sites that are helpful to people new to Linux are:

http://linuxcommand.org  and
http://www.linux.org/lessons/index.html

These both provide excellent "from the ground up" tutorials in Linux.

There are also some more "newbie-friendly" Linux forums where you are
less likely to get "RTFM" or "Ever heard of Google" types of replies.
These are:

http://www.linuxjunior.org
http://linuxhelp.ca
http://www.justlinux.com
http://fedoraforum.org/forum

Anyway, keep on learning.  It's a bit difficult at first, but well
worth the effort in the long run.  Once you have a handle on the basics,
you'll learn how to find more information on your own and have to rely a
lot less on others to answer questions or solve problems.

HTH,

Jim Dishaw