kernel rpm

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Tue May 25 19:14:51 UTC 2004

--On Tuesday, May 25, 2004 12:11 PM -0600 Mark Lane <mark at harddata.com>
wrote:

> downlaod the src.rpm. Install the src.rpm. Modify the specfile to
> indicate  that it's a custom kernel in the rpm name. edit the config
> files in the  source directory to reflect your required changes. Then run
> rpmbuild -ba  kernel.spec.

For the name modification, I add something to the end of the "%define
release" line. In this case, it might be "4kstack".

I found it necessary to specify the target when building, to get the right
arch:

rpmbuild --target i686-linux -ba kernel-2.6-4kstack.spec

(I had to do this to get my legacy PTY's back.)