xkb error

Harlan Harris harlan at harris.name
Tue May 25 20:47:47 UTC 2004

Hi,

I just upgraded from Redhat 9 to Fedora Core 2 on a Dell SMP PC. Most
things worked OK, with three exceptions. The first was the NVIDIA driver
didn't work. I got the new driver, installed it, and figured out what
weird things Dell had done, and fixed a version problem in Dell's
scripts. OK, only took a couple hours, and now I know a tiny bit about X
video drivers.

My second problem is that when I got in I get the following information
in a popup window:

===
Error activating XKB configuration.
Probably internal X server problem.

X server version data:
The X.Org Foundation
60700000

If you report this situation as a bug, please include:
- The result of xprop -root | grep XKB
- The result of gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/xkb
===

Here's the results:

# xprop -root | grep XKB
_XKB_RULES_NAMES_BACKUP(STRING) = "xfree86", "pc105", "us", "", ""
_XKB_RULES_NAMES(STRING) = "xfree86", "pc105", "us", "", ""

# gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/xkb
 layouts = [us]
 model = pc105
 overrideSettings = true
 options = []

When I upgraded the system, it did ask to re-configure the keyboard for
some reason. Maybe I did this wrong? But I know nothing about xkb. What
should I look at?

Should I be asking the X.Org people this instead?

 -Harlan

ps - My 3rd problem is a minor firewall issue which I think I should be
able to figure out. Otherwise, thanks Fedora people! :)