OT: network problem (speed) *FIXED*

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed May 26 00:49:29 UTC 2004

Craig Tinson wrote:
> thanks for the suggestions guys.. have managed to fix the problem by
> replacing the NIC with a spare...
>
> I still don't know *why* is suddenly starting running slowly (or
> thinking it was only 10mb) but I remembered that before I'd moved the
> machine to the other room I'd also done an dist-upgrade.. and there was
> a new kernel.. i tried booting back to the old kernel but that didn't
> fix things.. so not sure whether even that was a problem..

One other thing...it's entirely possible that when you moved the
machine, you "tweaked" (twisted) the case and caused the network card to
not line up with its mobo connector very well.  Reseating the original
card would probably have fixed it.

This is a good thing to note:  Whenever you move a machine--particularly
a large desktop box--it's a good idea to pop the top and reseat all of
the PCI and AGP cards, and not a bad idea to reseat the RAM sticks as
well.  Just make sure you keep physically in contact with the chassis
while you do this to keep static issues to a minimum or use a grounding
strap.  Better safe than sorry.

This solves a LOT of issues.  I run a pretty large colo facility and I
can't tell you how many boxes I "magically" fixed by doing this.

RATS!  Now everyone knows!  I gotta stop letting things like this out
or I won't be considered a genius anymore!
-            We look for things.  Things that make us go!            -