feedback to NVidia [was: Nvidia Drivers]

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed May 26 01:00:20 UTC 2004

Frank Tanner III wrote:
> --- Rui Miguel Seabra <rms at 1407.org> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 16:37 -0700, Frank Tanner III
>>wrote:
>>
>>>You have your beliefs and I have mine.  And mine
>>
>>is
>>
>>>that people deserve to try to make a living off of
>>>their code, hardware, service they provide.
>>
>>Do not invert roles here, mister.
>>
>>*You* said they have a right to make money, and *I*
>>said they have a
>>right to try to make money.
>>

>>>The *REASON* their driver is proprietary and has
>>>"black box" components is SIMPLE.  There are
>>>proprietary pieces of code in the video card
>>
>>itself.
>>
>>>These drivers need to access these pieces of code.
>>
>>>The drivers would have enough information in them

>>>deduce exactly what the code in the card is doing.
>>
>>>So, in effect, they would be, in effect, "giving
>>
>>away"
>>
>>>their proprietaty card stored on the video card
>>>itself.
>>
>>This is bullshit. The reason, stated so by NVIDIA a
>>few times, seems to
>>be related to software patents.
>>

>>>choice.  Me?  I will use their cards, and their
>>>drivers, because I like their products.
>>
>>Do you like MACROVISION? I hope you do, because you
>>get it, wether you
>>like it or not.
>>
>>Rui
>>

> I guess that's the difference between you and I.  I
> don't attempt to pirate video using my NVidia card, so
> Macrovision protection doesn't matter to me.

Gentlemen, can you please take this outside--perhaps to Usenet or some
chat room somewhere where they enjoy flamewars?  It simply isn't
appropriate for this forum and I'm rather tired of having to scroll past
all of the invective and diatribes being spouted on this thread.

Either drop it or continue it OFF LIST.
- grasshopotomaus: A creature that can leap to tremendous heights... -
-                                                ...once.            -