OT: network problem (speed) *FIXED*

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed May 26 01:08:22 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 25 May 2004 20:49, Rick Stevens wrote:
>Craig Tinson wrote:
>> thanks for the suggestions guys.. have managed to fix the problem
>> by replacing the NIC with a spare...
>>
>> I still don't know *why* is suddenly starting running slowly (or
>> thinking it was only 10mb) but I remembered that before I'd moved
>> the machine to the other room I'd also done an dist-upgrade.. and
>> there was a new kernel.. i tried booting back to the old kernel
>> but that didn't fix things.. so not sure whether even that was a
>> problem..
>
>One other thing...it's entirely possible that when you moved the
>machine, you "tweaked" (twisted) the case and caused the network
> card to not line up with its mobo connector very well.  Reseating
> the original card would probably have fixed it.
>
>This is a good thing to note:  Whenever you move a
> machine--particularly a large desktop box--it's a good idea to pop
> the top and reseat all of the PCI and AGP cards, and not a bad idea
> to reseat the RAM sticks as well.  Just make sure you keep
> physically in contact with the chassis while you do this to keep
> static issues to a minimum or use a grounding strap.  Better safe
> than sorry.
>
>This solves a LOT of issues.  I run a pretty large colo facility and
> I can't tell you how many boxes I "magically" fixed by doing this.
>
>RATS!  Now everyone knows!  I gotta stop letting things like this
> out or I won't be considered a genius anymore!

Rick, this sounds a bit like the engineer who came in, surveyed the
problem boiler, picked up a hammer and hit the boiler just once and
left.  The boiler of course fired right up.  The next day a bill
comes in for $550.  On calling the engineer up for an explanation for
what looked to be a very simple operation, he said the service call
was $50, but knowing where to hit it was $500. :-)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)