Howto upgrade from FC1 to FC2?

Greg Morgan drkludge at cox.net
Wed May 26 05:03:16 UTC 2004

Georg Wittig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to upgrade my workstation from FC1 to FC2. A clean install isn't
> an option to me because my FC1 is customized heavily (to re-customize a
> cleanly installed FC2 would take days for me), and I'm running apt-get
> with a lot of atrpms additions, too.
>
> The list archives didn't reveal much. So my question is, what's the
> simplest way to upgrade in my situation? I don't think upgrading via the
> official FC2 isos will work because of all the additional atrpms.
> Alternatively, I could install rpm, apt-get, and atrpms for FC2 on FC1
> first, and then "apt-get dist-upgrade". Or is this the wrong way?
>
> Thanks for your help

Here's what I did
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-May/msg05948.html.  Just
follow the prompts and choose disk, ftp or nfs.  You would have to stage
your ISOs in say a /home or /var partition before the reboot.

In both my updated sysmtems kudzu said it found a new keyboard.  Hint
Hint there is no new keyboard.  Based on the errors reported at first
boot, I then made this change to /etc/X11/XF86Config
# comment out as per bug 121016
#       Option      "XkbRules" "xfree86"

I then made this change in the /etc/modprobe.conf file based on
something I saw on the mailing list.  I am sorry I that I don't have a
reference for you.  Look at the pcspkr stanza.  You will have to compare
this with your configuration and make adjustments.
# install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install
sound-slot-0 && { /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1
|| :; }
install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe pcspkr && /sbin/modprobe
--first-time --ignore-install sound-slot-0 && { /bin/aumix-minimal -f
/etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :; }

Along with the this change you will need to upgrade libgnome.  I updated
all my packages.

This has worked for me so far.

I hope this helps.

Regards,