How to use NVIDIA Official driver on Fedora

Sean Estabrooks seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Wed May 26 12:22:05 UTC 2004

On Wed, 26 May 2004 07:16:41 -0500 (CDT)
"Benjamin J. Weiss" <benjamin at Weiss.name> wrote:

> On Wed, 26 May 2004, Paul wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > > While you wait for the kernel to build, send an email to
> > > linux-bugs at nvidia.com and put some more pressure on them to release
> > > updated drivers so you don't have to go through this ordeal in the
> > > future ;)
> >
> > And ask them to make the drivers open source (GPL) rather than the nasty
> > way they have them currently.
> >
> They can't.  They're constrained by the licenses of third-party modules
> that they include (in hardware or software, I don't know).  If they tried
> to open-source their drivers, they'd be breakng the law.
>
> Ben

Who cares what the reasons are?   Maybe they'll try a little harder in the
future to not let themselves get so tied up by third parties.  Lets just find
someone who can and stop making excuses for these companies.  Check
out what Warren Togami from RedHat recently recommended:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-May/msg05039.html

Where he says:

------
I highly recommend "Built by ATI" genuine Radeon 9200 specifically,
because it is fairly cheap, and supported by the Open Source drivers
of xorg-x11 in FC2. It worked fairly well for me in FC1 after updates too.

Do some research about exactly which Radeon 9200 to buy though,
because I read something about the "SE" version not working.
--------

Cheers,
Sean