rsyncing 79gb of data to 250gb drive

Michael Mansour micoots at yahoo.com
Wed May 26 17:48:33 UTC 2004

Hi James,

> >>I have an issue which I can't seem to figure out.
> >>
> >>I bought a 250Gb Maxtor Maxline Plus ATA133 drive,
> >>plugged it into a server, formatted it using:
> >>
> >># e2fsck -m 0 -j -b 1024 /dev/hdc1
>
> formatted using e2fsck??
> Do you perchance mean mke2fs?

Yeah, that was just a typo :)

> >>I made the partition a Linux partition id 82.
>
> Type 82 is linux swap space, not filesystem space.

Again my mistake, sorry, I typed this email as a brain
dump of the things I did when creating the filesystem
on the drive. Basically I just used fdisk to create a
Linux filesystem, and by default it would have created
it as id 83, which it did.

> >>After format, 241Gb free space is recognised.
>
> This seems reasonable
>
> >>I have 80Gb of data on another drive in the system
> >>that I wish to backup onto this drive. So after
> >>rsyncing the drives contents from the 79Gb (which
> is
> >>on a stripe) to the maxtor 250Gb drive, the
> following
> >>is the result:
> >>
> >>/dev/md6              85419328  79573952   1506236
>
> >>99% /data01
> >>/dev/hdc1            241201359 123508888 117692471
>
> >>52% /data02
> >>
> >>123Gb used??? this is what is confusing me, why?
> >>

> ><snip>
> >

> >>I thought maybe the rsync was following symlinks
> >>(which I'm sure there are none), but by default
> the
> >>

> >What about hard links? Try
> >find /data01 -type f -links +1 -ls | sort
> >to see if there are any.

Tried it and nothing showing up.

I might try reducing the blocksize of the drive
tomorrow (just for a test) to see if it makes a
difference.

Michael.

http://au.movies.yahoo.com