Laptop/Notebook support

Cam camilo at mesias.co.uk
Wed May 26 19:10:19 UTC 2004

Hi,

I'm concerned about the level of support for laptops / notebooks in
Fedora Core. I get the impression that most desktop systems and hardware
largely work but notebooks tend to have problems with power management,
suspend, cpu throttling, hardware buttons and integrated hardware (eg.
wireless devices).

So if anyone out there has a notebook model that is fully working, let's
have a show of hands. How many models are available where everything
just works?

I've got one but it's only just started suspending reliably, the power
management is not working and features like screen brightness have not
worked since leaving APM for ACPI. Although I love the latest software
that comes with Fedora I feel it's badly let down by it's hardware support.

Is anyone considering working on a 2.4 / APM based release that would
support the notebooks and laptops that are not really usable with Fedora
as it stands?

-Cam