SATA Silicon Image Speed Issue

Mark Lane mark at harddata.com
Wed May 26 20:03:07 UTC 2004

On May 26, 2004 01:53 pm, "Benjamin J. Weiss" <benjamin at weiss.name> wrote:
> From: "Mark Lane" <mark at harddata.com>
>
> > On May 26, 2004 11:14 am, Si Jones <si at bananas.hopto.org> wrote:
> > > Hello everyone,
> > >
> > > Me and someone else are getting what seems to be a slow speed out of
> > > the hard drive, we have the sil3114 controller and we get 55mb a sec.
> >
> > I assume you mean 55 MegaBytes (MB) not milibits (mb).
> >
> > Hmm, 55MB/s is pretty fast for a single IDE drive. The only time you will
> > approach 100+ mb/s is talking directly with the drive's cache. Not even
>
> 15K
>
> > SCSI drives do much over 60MB/s as the drive physically can't read and
>
> write
>
> > 100+ MB/s.
>
> Okay, stupid question here...where could I check the numbers for my drives?
> I've got an IDE and a SATA and I'm curious to see how they're doing.

For real world numbers you need to run a spec program like bonnie++.

http://www.coker.com.au/bonnie++/

You need to use really big file sizes to not see the caching effects however.
Mark Lane, CET mailto:mark at harddata.com
Hard Data Ltd. http://www.harddata.com
T: 01-780-456-9771   F: 01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue Edmonton, AB, Canada, T5X 1Y3
--> Ask me about our Excellent 1U Systems! <--