PCMCIA NIC eth0 could not be found

Mat Budzynski budzynskim at frontieracademy.net
Wed May 26 21:52:12 UTC 2004

Hi,

I've got a problem which I hope is simple.  I've still got a lot to
learn w/Linux.  I'm running FC2, but had the exact same problem with FC1.

I'm using a 3com pcmcia network card (3CCE589ET) on a Dell Latitude.  No
problems with the exact same setup on RH 9 or older.  It always "just
worked."

Now, however, eth0 is only detected and working on the first boot.  Upon
the second and all subsequent reboots, "ifconfig" gives the message
"eth0 could not be found, delaying initialization."  Same message in the
boot process.  Same message when I run system-config-network and click
on "activate" the device.

There is a workaround, which is weird to me.
1. Go into system-config-network and remove the device AND the hardware.
2. Reboot
4. "Add ethernet device" (3C589 series)
5. Everything is absolutely fine until the next reboot.
Note: this does not work if I try it without step 2.  I tried replacing
step 2 with "service-network-restart" and no luck.

Extra info, if it helps diagnose this:
I am using only one PCMCIA card (the only NIC).
I did an HTTP install and had no problems during the install.
I don't fully understand "modprobe", but some lists recommended
"modprobe 3c589_cs".  This returned no errors.
modprobe.conf includes "alias eth0 3c589_cs"
Swapping with identical card does not help.

Please explain any solutions in detailed terms, as I am far from a Linux
expert (obviously).  Thanks very much in advance.

--
Mat