really weired problem...installation media not found

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Thu May 27 01:14:42 UTC 2004

alok garg wrote:
> hi,
> i downloaded and burned the 4 cds of FC2 .....yesterday i also completed
> a successful installation on a dell poweredge 2600 using these
> cds....mediacheck of these cds is also ok.....today i tried to install
> another ibm netvista box with intel 845 chipset....the cds booted fine
> ....but after language and keyboard selection it asks for location of
> installation media giving following options
>
> local cd-rom
> hard drive
> nfs
> ftp
> http
>
> which is really weired and i have never encountered this dialog
> before....i tried to select local cd rom but then it gives error that no
> installation medium found....can someone help me in this
> matter.....thanks in advance...

It basically means that the installation program is unable to see your
cdrom drive.  It was able to boot from it (probably due to the system
BIOS support), but for some reason or other, once the Linux started
running the installation program, that version of Linux is unable to
find it.  I'd change to an alternate console and check out any error
(and other) messages that might be present in VC 3 and VC 4....

(VC 1 runs the text install, VC 2 should have a shell prompt, VC 3
contains output from what's happened so far, and VC 4 contains any error
messages (syslog messages?))  If you got into the graphical install,
that would be running in VC7.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com