feedback to NVidia [was: Nvidia Drivers]

Greg Trounson gregt at maths.otago.ac.nz
Thu May 27 04:58:32 UTC 2004

Paul L. Allen wrote:
> Greg Trounson wrote:
>

>> To bring things back on topic, I can confirm that the binary NVIDIA
>> 5336 drivers install and run fine on a stock 2.6 kernel with
>> CONFIG_REGPARM turned off in Fedora Core 2.
>

> Just clarifying here.  By a stock 2.6 kernel, do you mean a source
> tarball from kernel.org?  That's a pain, but if it's what I have to
> do, I'll do it.  I just joined the list this afternoon.  I bet there's
> been some discussion that I missed.
>
> I installed the Nvidia 5336 driver onto whatever kernel came with FC2
> and it appeared to install OK.  But if I start X, the system locks up
> hard.  I have to pull the battery to get it to let go.  The machine's
> a Dell M60 with Quadro FX video hardware.  Since running the nVidia
> installer, if I run the machine without X, I get frequent "Badness in
> interruptible_sleep..." messages.

Apologies, I should have been more clear.
By 'stock' I mean the official linux kernel as released by kernel.org,
no other patches or tweaks apart from turning CONFIG_REGPARM off.

I too found that X would hard lock the machine if I used the 2.6.5-1.358
which came with Fedora Core 2.

I can see why this might also be referred to as a 'stock' kernel, since
it comes with a now standard operating system.

Greg