Laptop/Notebook support

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Thu May 27 08:52:49 UTC 2004

Hi Cam

On Wednesday 26 May 2004 20:10, Cam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm concerned about the level of support for laptops / notebooks in
> Fedora Core. I get the impression that most desktop systems and hardware
> largely work but notebooks tend to have problems with power management,
> suspend, cpu throttling, hardware buttons and integrated hardware (eg.
> wireless devices).

I get the impression that there are lots of Laptop users on this and other
lists you can judge that by the number of problem postings since FC2's
release.

I was keeping track of how many postings (Just for fun) but gave up when it
spilled over the 3000 mark.

> So if anyone out there has a notebook model that is fully working, let's
> have a show of hands. How many models are available where everything
> just works?

I run a DELL Latitude CPXj its an ex US model that I have upgraded and changed
for UK use it is a PIII 700, 256MB, 40GB HDD I have a 3com PCMCIA network
card which I connect  to my office and home networks under separate profiles
I am running FC1 and don't have any problems every thing seems to work fine
apart from a silly problem that started a couple of months ago where I have
to eject the PCMCIA during start up and shutdown but I'm not that bothered as
at least the base system works (I cant say the same for certain applications
but thats configuration not hardware)

> I've got one but it's only just started suspending reliably, the power
> management is not working and features like screen brightness have not
> worked since leaving APM for ACPI. Although I love the latest software
> that comes with Fedora I feel it's badly let down by it's hardware support.

Mmm I'm no expert but I do sell a heck of a lot of second hand/refurbished
Laptops generally they have no OS but we do load Windows for customers who
purchase a Licenses the one thing we do is disable suspend modes for screens
& hard drives while it seems like a good idea in our experience a large
amount of machines go into a terminal hibernation far better to have a screen
saver and shut the thing down when you don't want it any more.

I don't use hibernation, my power is fine however if yours is broken I hope
someone can suggest a fix for you.

--

Regards

Peter Cannon

peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk

"And when Alexander saw the breadth of his domain
he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer"