kernel panic after kernel upgrade to 2.4.22-1.2179 on Fedora Core 1.

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu May 27 11:30:08 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 27.05.2004 schrieb Siddharth Toshniwal um 09:06:

> I recently did a RPM install of kernel-2.4.22-1.2179.nptl
> on my Core 1 installation at home and I cannot boot into
> my Linux partition using the same. I can use my older kernel
> as well as the 2.6.1 kernel (which I had installed from
> source a few months ago).
>
> I'm getting a kernel panic at startup and a trace which
> seems to indicate that ext3 module is not built in by
> default into the kernel (my boot partition is ext3).
> Maybe this is provided as a separate module....

> Siddharth.

No, you don't have to compile anything to have ext3 support. But it is
important that the installation of the kernel RPM did not fail, i.e. you
have the needed and corresponding initrd.img - the initial ramdisk image
file - in the /boot directory and it's call inside the grub.conf. Double
check that.

Btw. the current kernel is since quite some time .2188. Best way will
certainly be to upgrade to that latest kernel for FC1 and while that
happens observe the process and be sure no error occurs.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl
Sirendipity 13:26:36 up 4 days, 19:23, load average: 0.90, 0.70, 0.37
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]