REPOST: Q: install fedora on Raid0 (nforce2)

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Thu May 27 13:08:09 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 21:05, bergeon1234 at free.fr wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to install fedora Core 2 on my raid0 system, which is actually used by
> Windows XP.
>
> My harddisk has one partition free (20 MB) to install fedora. But, when I boot
> on the Fedora DVD, the raid0 system isn't detected.
>
> How can I install Fedora without taking off my Windows XP system ?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Yves B.
>
> ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe (BIOS 1008), 512MB RAM, 2 SATA Maxtor Drive (Raid 0 with
> SIL3112), Asus DVD.
You most likely have what is known as a "software raid controller" this
means that the majority of the "RAID" work is actually done by the host
OS with the use of drivers. These card's have some additional support in
the BIOS but this is mainly related to booting.

As such Linux is unable to see the "raid" array, as it doesn't actually
exist. You may have some luck in finding some Linux based drivers for
your card which will allow you to do what you want, but I sincerely
doubt it (and even if you do, I probably would not recommend it).

What options do you have? Not entirely sure. Linux supports it's own
version of software raid (I am using that at the moment), but as Linux
can't see the windows based software raid, Windows will not be able to
see the linux software raid.

If you just want linux on your machine then format the hard disks and
setup a software raid system during the install stage. beyond that, I'm
not sure (I don't do dual boot any more).

Duog