UK keyboard layout with winkeys

Jon Homan jon.homan.nospam at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu May 27 13:56:56 UTC 2004

Dylan Parry wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a UK keyboard with Windows keys either side of the spacebar, but
> no  matter what I do I cannot get them to work! I have selected a UK
> keyboard  layout in my xorg.conf, and testing it with xev shows that the
> keys are  actually producing an input.
>
> When I go to the KDE control centre and click on keyboard shortcuts,
> and  try to select a layout with 4 modifier keys or the Windows
> keyboard  layout, it tells me that my current keyboard does not have
> these keys - am  I just seeing things?!
>
> Under the keyboard layouts tab in the control centre, when I enable
> keyboard layouts, there are no layouts to choose from, so I am at a
> loss  as to how and what I should change the current configuration to in
> order  to get KDE to see these keys...
>
> Any ideas?
>
> P.S. I am using FC2, if that makes any difference.

I posted the same problem to the test list, but never got a response.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2004-May/msg01357.html

Usually, in KDE, when I press just the Win key, the KDE menu pops up.
If I then try to assign a shortcut key in the KDE menu editor, I get the following
behaviour. When pressing Alt + Ctrl + Win (in that order), the shortcut is displayed as
'Win+Alt+Ctrl+', but when pressing Win + Alt + Ctrl the shortcut is displayed as 'Alt+Ctrl+'.

Using xev, I get the following output when the Win key alone is pressed:

FocusOut event, serial 27, synthetic NO, window 0x2800001,
     mode NotifyGrab, detail NotifyAncestor

FocusIn event, serial 27, synthetic NO, window 0x2800001,
     mode NotifyUngrab, detail NotifyAncestor

KeymapNotify event, serial 27, synthetic NO, window 0x0,
     keys:  2   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0
            0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0

However, if I press the Left Alt key, and then press the Left Win key I get the following:

KeyPress event, serial 30, synthetic NO, window 0x2800001,
     root 0x48, subw 0x0, time 738705, (93,-15), root:(647,232),
     state 0x0, keycode 64 (keysym 0xffe9, Alt_L), same_screen YES,
     XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
     XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
     XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyPress event, serial 30, synthetic NO, window 0x2800001,
     root 0x48, subw 0x0, time 741457, (93,-15), root:(647,232),
     state 0x8, keycode 115 (keysym 0xffeb, Super_L), same_screen YES,
     XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
     XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
     XFilterEvent returns: False

In FC1, the Win key was recognised as Super_L on its own. Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks

Jon Homan