Does VMWare work completely on Fedora?

Jonathan Rawle jr36 at leicester.ac.uk
Thu May 27 15:46:36 UTC 2004

Bennett, Patrick wrote:

> That said, Core-1 seems to work fairly well, but there are definitely
> problems with Core-2.  You must boot the kernel with vdso=0 and the
> switch to Xorg from Xfree definitely wreaks havoc with their 'vmware
> tools' installer and configuration scripts.  You might have better luck
> using a working core-1 image and running the core-2 upgrade install.

VMWare (meaning the lastest version 4.5) seems to work fine on Fedora 2. No
kernel parameter needed, and no problem with xorg (except it says it can't
decide what keyboard layout to use as it's looking for XF86Config - hardly
wreaking havoc). This is on a fresh install, not an upgrade. I haven't
tried things such as USB, mind.