FC2 - RH9 dual boot problem

Jim B jim at jbsys.com
Thu May 27 20:13:35 UTC 2004

I have a system with FC2 on /dev/hda6 (/) and /dev/hda1 (/boot).  I also have a
RedHat 9 system installed on /dev/hda8 (/) and I dual boot the system.  The disk
also has Win2K and WinXP.  The FC2 is a fresh install over a FC2 Test 3 system
as I used this system for testing of the FC2 test releases.  Somewhere along the
line during the FC2 testing, the RedHat system can no longer be booted.  I get
the following messages:
XT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
attempt to access beyond end of device
03:08: rw=0, want 1219858868, limit=36893241
attempt to access beyond end of device
03:08: rw=0, want 1219858868, limit=36893241
Kernel panic: No Init found.

I think this started after I did a "fixfile" on a FC2T2 system and had the
RedHat partition mounted and it was "fixed" too.  I am really not sure when the
partition became unbootable.  The limit value in the message is the size of the
partition as reported by fdisk.  I also get alignment errors reported from
sfdisk.  The same errors that are reported with other users who have dual boot
problems.  I even tried the fix suggested for the dual boot problem, but it had
no affect.  I do not have a problem with either windows systems, it is just with
RedHat 9.  The system is a Tyan 2460 with two Athlon 1200 cpus and 120 GB disk.

Any idea of now I can get this system bootable?  I can read/write it just fine
from FC2.  It just won't boot.

Jim